Passport renewal
A passport always opens up the world, free public domain CC0 image.

The DS-82 application form, commonly known as the ‘U.S. Passport Renewal Application For Eligible Individuals,’ This form must be completed in order to renew your passport. However, before you begin a passport renewal application, you must first ascertain if you are eligible to apply for the renewal. If not, you will be forced to submit a request for passport renewal in person. The following are the requirements you must complete in order to renew your passport by mail.

Your US passport is only renewed if all of the following requirements are met:

• You are still in possession of your US passport.

• Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were 16 or older.

• Your previous US passport must be no more than 15 years old.

• The current U.S. passport is in good condition.

Your passport was issued with your present name, or you have the capacity to produce documentation of a name change.

A US passport may be lost or stolen and the owner may be unaware that it is gone. If this occurs, you will be unable to use an adult passport renewal program to replace your passport. Instead, you’ll need to go through the process of replacing a lost or stolen passport.

How much does it cost to renew a passport?

This is the price for standard passport services. It does not apply to expedited passport procedures.

Adult Passport Book: $110

Minor Passport Book: $80

Passport books are the most usual option, but you may also add a passport card for an extra fee. You will be charged an extra $60.00 if you expedite at a post office (processing time is between 4-8 weeks or more based on the volume of business they handle at the moment). When you expedite with the 24 hour Passport or Visas (processing time varying from 2-weeks to 24-hours depending on the kind of service that you want), you are paid differently depending on how quickly you need the passport service. The cost of expedited passport services from 24 hour Passport as well as Visas may be found here.

The fee must be paid in the form of a personal cheque or money order made payable to the United States Department of State. On the reverse of the money order, write your entire name and birth date. Cash is not accepted as a means of payment by mail.

Here’s how to make a check payable to “US Department of State”:

How long does it take to renew your passport?

It is determined on the sort of service you have chosen. If you want to get a normal passport, the processing period may range between 12 and 16 weeks depending on the amount of requests. During times of strong travel demand, the number of passport applications filed increases, which may cause extra delays when applying via postal offices. The peak season for travel is often around the holidays, when holidaymakers plan their trips. If you need your passport sooner, you will need to expedite the application procedure.

The accelerated option shortens the process of applying for a passport renewal, renewing an expired passport, or dealing with other passport-related issues. When applying via postal offices, the processing period ranges between 4 and 6 weeks. If you apply via an agency for passports such as 24 Hour Passport or Visas, you may renew it in only 24 hours. This option is open to you, however 24 Hour Passport or Visas will charge an extra price for a faster application procedure. Check out the price here.

What papers are necessary to renew your passport?

In addition to the completed DS-82 application form Here are the papers you’ll need to prepare before starting your application:

• Two passport photos (2 2 inches x 2 inches with a white backdrop). In our office, we provide a picture service.

• Identification (optional).

• Contact us to get an Authorization Letter.

• Travel schedule.

• Online order receipt for passports and visas 24 hours a day, seven days a week (If you choose the expedited service for your passport, you will receive a receipt with the 24 hour passport and visas).

• A $170.00 check or money order made payable to the US Department of State.

Apart from that, if you are interested to know about Renew a passport for a child in the United States then visit our Daily Bites category.